Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Marathon #2

Well unexpectedly I knocked out my second marathon. On 16 March (Friday) a friend in the Pentagon that I have done some training runs called to let me know that one of the folks that was heading down for the Virginia Beach Shamrock Marathon had backed out at the last minute, and I could have their entry and a place to stay if I wanted to suffer through the 26.2 miles that Sunday (18 March). I was hesitant for a few seconds since I had only run briefly once right after the Austin Marathon 4 weeks earlier, but I decided to give it a try.

It turned out to be a great race....really flat, but pretty windy, and the weather was great. I ran slow and easy, and knocked out a 4:07:03, which I was fairly happy with considering the lack of running. I think once you have done 1 marathon, mentally you are prepared for another without too much stress because you know what to expect, so there isn't that mental hurdle to get past. I certainly wouldn't say they are easy, but if you know what to expect leading into it, its not nearly as stressful. Anyway, enough with the marathons for now, time for bike racing. The next marathon I will do will be the Marine Corps Marathon here in DC, which is one of the largest in the nation, and a great course. That takes place in October, so I think I will do some minimal running leading up to it, and use my cycling fitness to get me through in a slow, but enjoyable time similar to this last one. Anyone interested in joining for this marathon is welcome to stay with us, it would be a good excuse to get out and run, and make a trip out to DC to see our new little girl, as she should be about 3 months old by then.

Maria is doing great with the pregnancy, she finally decided to go and buy a whole wardrobe of maternity clothes, which was a good idea, since she could only fit into those old jeans for so long. Other than a few backaches and being hungry about 90 minutes after we finish dinner, no real abnormalities yet. She jokes that I am having sympathy cravings and gaining sympathy weight since I have put on a whopping 3 pounds following the marathon last week, but I have always craved chocolate, and now that she is stocking the freezer with cookie dough ice cream, who wouldn't have a craving after supper?

Hope all is well.

Rusty and Maria

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Overbeek said...

Still waiting for those pictures of Maria! :)

11:04 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home