Long Overdue Update
Wow, it has seriously been a long time since we have updated the blog...so sorry! I wonder if anyone still reads it, as it has been gathering dust now for almost 3 months!
Well things have been pretty busy around here, so here is a quick run-down of the major events:
We took a welcome vacation out to Portland this summer to spend time with the Stein and Williford families. Brooke had a blast, and we had a great time getting to spend time with so many family members and friends. Unfortunately the 2 weeks went by in a blur, and before we knew it, we were back in NoVa in the heat of summer.
Work has been crazy. I filled in for the executive officer to the 2-star that runs the AF Nuclear Directorate for 2 weeks during quite possibly his busiest time since he has been in the position so the full-time exec could take some much deserved leave with his family. It was truly an eye-opening experience (literally, as I was working about 16 hours a day and getting only a handful of hours of sleep). Since then, things continue to go full tilt at work. Hopefully things will slow down soon as we have a new batch of folks moving into the office to help our manpower.
After the vacations and the long work hours, Maria and I found out that #2 is on the way!!!!! We were absolutely amazed that it happened as quick as it did, considering it took us a very long time to get Brooke. Maria is due 27 April 2009, and we can't wait! She is tired (as expected in the 1st trimester) but the morning sickness never really took hold, so again she is lucky.
I pinned on Major last Monday, so I am finally not the odd-ball Captain in the Pentagon. There still aren't too many Majors in the Pentagon compared to the number of Lt Colonels, Colonels and Generals, but relative to Captains its a big difference. It still feels weird to have the different rank and title, but I'm sure I will get used to it at some point.
After many, many trips to various doctors, it was determined that they needed to remove 1/2 of my thyroid. They found a growth (or nodule) on my thyroid back in April and have been doing tests ever since to determine if its benign or malignant, and finally they decided that they couldn't tell for sure, so they loped off the right lobe that had the nodule on it. I had surgery last Wednesday and have been home recovering ever since. Recovering from this surgery is a bit different than the arthroscopic elbow surgery I had a few years ago, so I am (reluctantly) taking it slow. We go back on Tuesday to get the pathology read on if the nodule was cancerous or not. Most indications are that it was benign, but it will be good to know for sure. Then they will monitor my thyroid hormone levels to determine how much (if any) supplemental thyroid medication I will need to take. In some cases, the other half of the thyroid takes up the slack, but not always. So next time you see me, make sure you make fun of my new 'Frankenscar' on the base of my neck. Right now, since it is still healing, it looks pretty ghoulish (just in time for Halloween!), but hopefully over time it won't be as noticeable.
Other random things:
Lance scratched his face pretty good somehow, then started scratching at it, giving him a 'hot-spot,' so now he has to wear a cone (lamp-shade as we call it) around, which he finds a way to get it caught on just about everything.
Got a new road bike (actually new frame and fork) that is super nice, lots of fun to ride.
We got a new computer...finally made the switch over to a Macbook. Should provide us with more flexibility and better photo-editing capability.
We got a new mini-van (woohoo!) as the growing family needed a bit more space. Got a pretty good deal, we think, on an '08 Honda Odyssey with all the bells and whistles. So far we are keeping the other vehicles until we see what we need and what we don't. The mini-van is a lease, so in 3 years it goes back to its home.
Some good friends from Ohio have moved into the area, so we have been having a good time hanging out and watching their little girl while the guys go out for long bike rides (and races).
Marathon season is fast approaching, and as Maria says, I have adopted my standard 'cliff-taper' technique of training up until about 5-6 weeks to go, then either getting injured, having surgery, something...resulting in no running for weeks leading into the marathon. Certainly not ideal, but I have done the same thing for the past 4 marathons and they have all come out okay. So far I have 3 marathons firmly on the schedule for this winter, with the possible addition of one more just for good measure.
Well, that about brings us up to speed after many months away from the blog. I say it everytime, but we will try and post more often. It seems the longer we leave it, the more there is to say, and the more we procrastinate. Look for some new photos soon! We welcome any comments, as it lets us know someone might actually be reading, and spurs us to get another post up.
Rusty, Maria, Brooke, Lance, Einstein, Schrodinger and Cinnamon (+1)
Well things have been pretty busy around here, so here is a quick run-down of the major events:
We took a welcome vacation out to Portland this summer to spend time with the Stein and Williford families. Brooke had a blast, and we had a great time getting to spend time with so many family members and friends. Unfortunately the 2 weeks went by in a blur, and before we knew it, we were back in NoVa in the heat of summer.
Work has been crazy. I filled in for the executive officer to the 2-star that runs the AF Nuclear Directorate for 2 weeks during quite possibly his busiest time since he has been in the position so the full-time exec could take some much deserved leave with his family. It was truly an eye-opening experience (literally, as I was working about 16 hours a day and getting only a handful of hours of sleep). Since then, things continue to go full tilt at work. Hopefully things will slow down soon as we have a new batch of folks moving into the office to help our manpower.
After the vacations and the long work hours, Maria and I found out that #2 is on the way!!!!! We were absolutely amazed that it happened as quick as it did, considering it took us a very long time to get Brooke. Maria is due 27 April 2009, and we can't wait! She is tired (as expected in the 1st trimester) but the morning sickness never really took hold, so again she is lucky.
I pinned on Major last Monday, so I am finally not the odd-ball Captain in the Pentagon. There still aren't too many Majors in the Pentagon compared to the number of Lt Colonels, Colonels and Generals, but relative to Captains its a big difference. It still feels weird to have the different rank and title, but I'm sure I will get used to it at some point.
After many, many trips to various doctors, it was determined that they needed to remove 1/2 of my thyroid. They found a growth (or nodule) on my thyroid back in April and have been doing tests ever since to determine if its benign or malignant, and finally they decided that they couldn't tell for sure, so they loped off the right lobe that had the nodule on it. I had surgery last Wednesday and have been home recovering ever since. Recovering from this surgery is a bit different than the arthroscopic elbow surgery I had a few years ago, so I am (reluctantly) taking it slow. We go back on Tuesday to get the pathology read on if the nodule was cancerous or not. Most indications are that it was benign, but it will be good to know for sure. Then they will monitor my thyroid hormone levels to determine how much (if any) supplemental thyroid medication I will need to take. In some cases, the other half of the thyroid takes up the slack, but not always. So next time you see me, make sure you make fun of my new 'Frankenscar' on the base of my neck. Right now, since it is still healing, it looks pretty ghoulish (just in time for Halloween!), but hopefully over time it won't be as noticeable.
Other random things:
Lance scratched his face pretty good somehow, then started scratching at it, giving him a 'hot-spot,' so now he has to wear a cone (lamp-shade as we call it) around, which he finds a way to get it caught on just about everything.
Got a new road bike (actually new frame and fork) that is super nice, lots of fun to ride.
We got a new computer...finally made the switch over to a Macbook. Should provide us with more flexibility and better photo-editing capability.
We got a new mini-van (woohoo!) as the growing family needed a bit more space. Got a pretty good deal, we think, on an '08 Honda Odyssey with all the bells and whistles. So far we are keeping the other vehicles until we see what we need and what we don't. The mini-van is a lease, so in 3 years it goes back to its home.
Some good friends from Ohio have moved into the area, so we have been having a good time hanging out and watching their little girl while the guys go out for long bike rides (and races).
Marathon season is fast approaching, and as Maria says, I have adopted my standard 'cliff-taper' technique of training up until about 5-6 weeks to go, then either getting injured, having surgery, something...resulting in no running for weeks leading into the marathon. Certainly not ideal, but I have done the same thing for the past 4 marathons and they have all come out okay. So far I have 3 marathons firmly on the schedule for this winter, with the possible addition of one more just for good measure.
Well, that about brings us up to speed after many months away from the blog. I say it everytime, but we will try and post more often. It seems the longer we leave it, the more there is to say, and the more we procrastinate. Look for some new photos soon! We welcome any comments, as it lets us know someone might actually be reading, and spurs us to get another post up.
Rusty, Maria, Brooke, Lance, Einstein, Schrodinger and Cinnamon (+1)

2 Comments:
WOW! You guys... huge news! How exciting! A new baby, a promotion and a surgery all in one go. Wow! Just wow!
Funny thing about your thyroid... all I could think of is, "Huh, Buddy (our dog) was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Weird." Guess it's going around, huh? Hee hee... just kidding.
Hope it all turns out well. I am very excited for you both. Franz and I will be waiting patiently for new baby pictures!
Sherry
YAY, you updated your blog! I've got you linked on our blog, so I saw the update right away. Post some new pics of Brooke--I bet she's growing SO fast!
Post a Comment
<< Home